As the contest surrounding Virginia gun control escalates, The Associated Press reports that “Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam plans to declare a temporary emergency Wednesday banning all weapons, including guns, from Capitol Square ahead of a massive rally planned next week.”
This ban includes “items like helmets and shields” and — I’m speculating here — is probably likely to encompass protective gas masks and body armor, too.
Paired with the Democratic introduction of Virginia House Bill 8842 — which more than doubles the votes required to recall elected officials — it certainly appears that Virginia democrats are actively taking steps to reduce the ways citizens can either protest new laws or legally remove politicians from office. There is, of course, a third option.
The Push and Pushback
Virginia Democrats are in the process of trying to all but remove the second amendment from the Commonwealth. There is proposed legislation for things like
- Mandatory weapons turn-in to law enforcement
- Elimination of private firearm sales
- A limit on how many firearms one may legally purchase
- ‘Red flag’ laws
- A ban on most semi-automatic rifles
- A ban on standard capacity rifle magazines
- No handguns that carry more than 10 rounds of ammunition
These proposals draw immense criticism from the vast majority of the population of Virginia. Over a hundred counties and towns are now second amendment sanctuaries, and are unlikely or openly unwilling to enforce state gun control efforts.
Do Your Homework
The move by Governor Northam is a clear escalation in this already tense situation. For those who plan on attending the rally — especially those who will be armed and/or armored — it might be a good idea to brush up on a few things.
- How to keep you phone private from local law enforcement
- How to keep your social media account from incriminating you
- Basics of protecting yourself from things like CS gas or ‘tear gas’
We’re reaching a point where boogaloo memes are transitioning to a real life conflict around Virginia gun control, and you’d be smart to take it seriously.